When most people think of mold, they think of the green/brown growth that develops on old bread or fruit. However, mold can also grow inside your home. Just like it would make you ill if you consumed a moldy piece of bread, living in a home with mold can also make you ill. Therefore, periodic inspections are imperative if you want to reduce a mold risk or treat a mold problem. Here are a few definite signs you have mold in your home.
One of the most obvious signs you have a mold problem is actual visible growth. Mold can look differently depending on what is growing on, though, so knowing a few facts about mold development is helpful.
Black mold grows in splotches, but it is not necessarily black in color. In many cases, black mold will be a shade of brown or a dark brown, which almost appears black in color.
There are also molds of more noticeable colors. For example, green mold will be green in color, but it may also have hints of brown growth. Some molds will also have hints of blue or even pink. Finally, white mold is common. This mold is difficult to see on white walls and ceilings, especially.
If there is mold growing in your home, you may notice an unpleasant odor. Many people compare this odor to a strong, musty, or earthy smell.
Since you live in the home all of the time, you may not notice the odor until you leave and come back in. For example, you may take a vacation and come home to a house that does have this foul odor.
It is important to note that an odor may be present whether there is visible mold growth or not. If you are dealing with a musty odor, contact professionals who have the tools and experience to find mold growth that may be hidden in the walls, floors, celling, or other area of your house.
Again, living in a house where mold is growing will make you sick, especially if you are exposed to the mold for long periods of time. Of course, everyone is different, so you may react differently to mold than other family members.
Common health problems associated with mold exposure include allergy symptoms, such as itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, and breathing difficulties. In addition, exposure to mold can affect the skin, causing itchy red rashes in some cases.
For more information, get in touch with mold inspection services in your area.